The dangers of Yik Yak.

It's a long time since I wrote my last blog post but for a couple of weeks I've been thinking to write something to express my opinion about a specific subject. 

Yik Yak.

Everyone knows this "new" social network that allows you to post whatever you want anonymously and share it with people that live in the same area. 

It could be fun talking to people, exchanging opinions with them and comments about common subjects, like for example same university or course or town. 

But it's not that fun when people abuse of their anonymity to insult or make fun of other people. As I think you know, I attend the University of Buckingham and if you have a look at Yik Yak in these area you'll notice that the only people who posts stuff on there are students.














Obviously I'm not saying that every post is made to make fun of other people. There are several posts that are actually funny.

Now, I think that you can say whatever you want; good or bad comments, I don't care. But things change when people write a name on their posts. It could ruins someone's reputation and hurt the feelings of the person concerned. 



When expressing my opinion to other people, many of them replied "If you can't make fun of people on Yik Yak, where's the fun?". I don't understand how you can have fun like this, even if it's someone you can barely stand. I'd rather go face to face and talk to this person instead of being nice with him/her and then being mean behind their back. 

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I have the mentality of a old lady but I believe it's extremely unfair. 




Dear students of the University of Buckingham: this is a subject that interests you all. So after this post feel free to express your opinion about it. 




















PS. All the pictures that you see in this post are screenshots from recents posts on Yik Yak in Buckingham.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Italy's 'Tangentopoli' Scandal - 1992.

Harassers.

The Hobbit: The End of an Era.