Playlist #2 - Arctic Monkeys

Today's playlist is about one of my favourite band: the Arctic Monkeys. 


The rhythm of their songs is so catchy and the lyrics are absolutely great. So today I decided to list my top 10 songs and why I like them so much. Enjoy!

(Click on the title to listen to the song)

10) 505

It used to be one of my favourite songs from Arctic Monkeys when I found out about them for the first time until I discovered other amazing songs. It still makes it into my top 10. 

"But I crumble completely when you cry,
It seems like once again you've had to greet me with goodbye,
I'm always just about to go and spoil a surprise,
Take my hands off of your eyes too soon"



This is the very first song I've listened by Arctic Monkeys and it was love at first sight. It's one of those songs that makes you want to sing along even though you don't know the lyrics. 

"Bet she's delighted when she sees him
Pulling in and giving her the eye
Because she must be fucking freezing
Scantily clad beneath the clear night sky
it doesn't stop in the winter, no"



From the same album as the song above ("Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I Am Not"), Mardy Bum is a great and not-too-mawkish love song. 

"Well now then Mardy Bum
Oh I'm in trouble again, aren't I?
I thought as much
Cause you turned over there
Pulling that silent disappointment face
The one that I can't bear"



One of the sexiest songs I've ever heard. Maybe it's the rhythm, maybe it's the guitar, maybe it's Alex Turner's voice. Or maybe it's just Alex Turner looking gorgeous in this amazing video. Well, Arabella is just perfect. 

"My days end best when this sunset gets itself
Behind that little lady sitting on the passenger side
It's much less picturesque without her catching the light
The horizon tries but it's just not as kind on the eyes"



Probably the most famous Arctic Monkeys' song. Even if you're not a fan of this band, I'm sure you heard this song at least once in your life. 

"Flicking through a little book of sex tips
Remember when the boys were all electric?
Now when she tells she's gonna get it
I'm guessing that she'd rather just forget it
Clinging to not getting sentimental
Said she wasn't going but she went still
Likes her gentlemen not to be gentle
Was it a Mecca dobber or a betting pencil?" 





This one reminds of teenage love and summer, so it definitely makes it into the Top 5. 

"Don't get me wrong though there's boys in bands
And kids who like to scrap with pool cues in their hands
And just 'cause he's had a couple of cans
He thinks it's alright to act like a dickhead

Don't you know, oh it's a funny thing you know
We'll tell them if you like
We'll tell them all tonight
They'll never listen
'Cause their minds are made up"  



Romance according to Arctic Monkeys. It's never too much, but it's still really effective. It shows how there's no need to be too cheesy to create an amazing love song. 

"Tell me where's your hiding place
I'm worried I'll forget your face
And I've asked everyone
I'm beginning to think I imagined you all along"



I can't explain my feelings every time I hear this song. It's one of the best song I've ever heard, but still not my favourite. I have lots of memories related to this song so I guess it deserves to be at the third place of my playlist. 

"(Do I wanna know)
If this feeling flows both ways?
(Sad to see you go)
Was sort of hoping that you'd stay
(Baby we both know)
That the nights were mainly made for saying things that you can't say tomorrow day

Crawling back to you" 



In their last album "AM" (2013) they got a very different approach to their music and this is an example. Another amazing love song, definitely more mawkish than the previews ones but still worth to listen to. 

"Secrets I have held in my heart
Are harder to hide than I thought
Maybe I just wanna be yours
I wanna be yours, I wanna be yours
Wanna be yours, wanna be yours, wanna be yours" 



I bet Arctic Monkey's fans will be quite surprised seeing that this is my favourite song. It's not the type of song that normally makes it to the first place in charts but this song speaks to me on so many levels. 

"I wish you'd stop ignoring me because it's sending me to despair,
Without a sound yeah you're calling me and I don't think it's very fair

That your shoulders are frozen (as cold as the night)
Oh, but you're an explosion (You're dynamite)
Your name isn't Rio, but I don't care for sand and lighting
The fuse might result in a bang with a bang-go"











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Italy's 'Tangentopoli' Scandal - 1992.

Harassers.

The Hobbit: The End of an Era.