Sherlock: The Abominable Bride.

[SPOILER ALERT]



People won't stop talking about it. They're furious about the new Sherlock Victorian special episode "The Abominable Bride".

As many said, the anticipation of the episode completely misled its fans that found themselves tangled up in a journey between the modern days and the 19th century version of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's characters. 

It's obvious that Mark Gatiss and the criticized Steven Moffat got carried away by the many episodes they wrote for the other BBC success "Doctor Who". 

To be honest, the episode wasn't too difficult to follow. The first part was entirely set in the Victorian age while the second part was a continuous leap between the 19th century, the modern days and Sherlock's mind palace. 

I found the mind palace scenes interesting: the first one reminded me of another episode, the one where Moriarty carved "I owe you" on an apple. I think this scene was absolutely great and it left us another epic quote from M: "Dead is the new sexy". Creepy. 

There was another scene that I didn't appreciate as much, probably because it was sickly sweet. I'm talking about the one near the waterfall. 

Plus, I think the episode should've been completely detached from the series. Ergo: a special episode set in the Victorian age that showed how it would've been if "Sherlock" was set in the past (as in the books). Towards the end, it lost its charm and my interest. 

Save these two exceptions, I think the episode was really good and I can't understand why people keep complaining about the suffragette thing. 

Yes, they were wearing clothes similar to the KKK. Yes, they were a bunch of women planning the murder of their husbands. Yes, Sherlock explained what feminism is to these women. But, in my opinion, there's an explanation to everything.

In the common imagination, a secret group of people that make weird rituals and plan to kill people wears this kind of clothes. Long hat and a tunic. Plus, the purple of their clothes has a strong meaning of penance and sufferance. In fact, these women were suffering because of these men. It doesn't mean they were entitled to kill them, but it sounds like quite an actual topic. 

If portraying a woman killing her boyfriend or her husband is a synonym of anti-feminism, let's start a campaign of hate against the film "Chicago". Such obscenity it won six Oscars.


Last but not least, I don't think Sherlock is mansplaining what feminism is. His audience is a bunch of women, it's true, but he is talking to his other audience as well. The one that is watching him on the screen. Those 8.4 million viewers that were watching him on Friday night. Moreover, there was no reference to the political events of the suffragette. So I don't get why people are making a fuss out of it. 

Without further ado, I can say that it was a really good episode with its ups and downs and I definitely look forward to watching the new season and find out what happened to Moriarty. 


P.S. Andrew Scott I love you. 


6 of 366.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Italy's 'Tangentopoli' Scandal - 1992.

Harassers.

The Hobbit: The End of an Era.